Monday, March 12, 2012

Being Smushed....

....By the reality that I shouldn't be on the surface, but back in the canyon. Anywho, upon arrival to the top, reentry was really diffcult and things seemed off, weird, and kinda new. I also had some new character levels, some of which resurfaced simply due to a river trip. And hair, lots of hair.


I dont know how to explain much about the Grand Canyon other than you should go for yourself. The Feb trip was so far the best one. Warmer winter weather in the 50s and 60s, low water with slightly more technical rapids with rocks, and significantly less people than the summer launch times. This time I was able to make the entire trip, all 220+ miles of it, making me at about 1.5 trips on the GC. Good news. All I can do now is hope and apply for every years permit for the rest of my life. I can do that.

I wouldnt say that the canyons whitewater is the best on the planet, but i would say that the combination of the water, canyon, nature, isolation, friends, and overall duration make it what has come to known as a truly unique piece of awesome. Then theres the magic.... The magic of the unknown, time reflecting walls, and voices singing in the night. Beautiful, long gone voices. Some sung by the river itself, some by the boats tussling in the eddy current, some by people of a previous time. The stories.


Its funny bc on this trip I didnt do much but look at the water. Infact, thats ALL I did. It made sweet love to my ruffled interior. I melted more and more everyday. Jenny mentioned how the human body binds the tools we use to itself as an appendage, as to better use it and feel its function. I most certainly had become the boat, or it me, for the entire trip except for Lava, where I had the absolute ugliest line on the planet, which is also the only place where its better to have a clean line. I blame it on the swimmer....yup. Not my fault.

6 Beers a day. Dont forget the whiskey. Speaking of.... dont forget the box wine!


Note: I came back and bought a 24 pack of pbr. At the time it seemed heavy, like real heavy, but the price was the same and so on.... Not til I got home and had one in my hand did I realize they now come as tallboys! Amazing!

1 comment:

lapunk said...

dude this is an awesome post. And i can't believe i haven't checked this f'n blog in so long. Sounds like a magical trip...btw lets chat and spin some dirt soon.

my words are:
verivell ipoictil